The WHT was opened in 1865 and was originally Broad Gauge. At first, it was worked by horse power and
as far as is known, BG locos never ventured along the harbourside. (see Wikipedia for an interesting history
in standard gauge times, plus many other sites) We start our journey at the harbour station and work our way back
to the connection with the Weymouth/Bristol line (formerly the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway).
The WHT is still fully connected, although in places it is difficult to realise!
As a tailpiece, there is a pic. of the Somerset Hotel (photographed 8/01/2012) as seen from the point where the last down train (as reported in the Dorset County Chronicle of 28 Aug 1862) hauled by Broad Gauge Victoria class 2-4-0 loco “Victoria”, only just avoided ending up in the saloon bar having run away down the Upwey bank. This gave rise to the music hall song “Victoria in the Gin Shop”.